Scuola dei Bambini
This Reggio inspired full-day preschool program for three to five year olds
What do you want to learn today?
In the Scuola dei Bambini program, the day begins with a question: What do you want to learn about today? The answers vary: Light! Bones. Another child might say, growing things. And so, each child is given the chance to use all her senses and 100 languages to explore that interest through self-directed projects.
Our highly trained educators give children the time, tools and support they need to guide this hands-on discovery. Guest speakers and field trips put project knowledge into context. The result is deep and lasting learning.
This approach originated in the city of Reggio Emilia in Italy. There, a community of teachers discovered a way to educate preschoolers by fostering their deep curiosity and potential.
Principles of the Reggio Emilia philosophy:
- Children are capable of constructing their own learning.
- Children learn through action: touching, moving, listening, seeing and hearing.
- Children have 100 different ways of thinking, discovering and expressing themselves, and each one should be nurtured and valued.
- Children should be able to explore the world’s material items in a beautiful, natural-
feeling classroom, their third teacher.
- Educators can best prepare each child’s projects by observing and documenting her discoveries.
With learning driven by the child comes community, collaboration, respect and passion.